Export text from tabbed field

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jan 6 07:29:01 EST 2003

>Thanks to Eric, Robert, Andu, Phil and Richard for your replies.
>Your replies all seem to confirm that the columns originating from
>the tab stops will not be maintained when read to a file without
>much customizing and extra scripting. So without putting too much
>energy into it, I have found a solution, which is not 100%
>satisfactory, but it will do for me. The output file will be read by
>various teachers on various platforms, so there is no way to change
>their Word settings and I would not want to ask them to change font
>to a monofont either.
>
>My data in the scrolling field can be exemplified as:
>Date		Code		Student name		Score
>
>Jan 02 11:30	3A1.1		Anne Lund Pedersen	37 %
>Jan 02 09:30	11D1.12		Randi Holt		8 %
>Jan 02 10:37	3A1.1		Arve Pedersen		17 %
>Jan 02 11:31	11D1.12		Anne Holt-Rasmussen	98 %
>
>Particularly 'Student name' will vary in length whereas 'Date' is
>fixed since it is read from a server. 'Code' will vary from 5 to 7
>characters, so I add 2 extra spaces at the end of each code.
>Originally I used both1 and 2 digits for 'Score' (1,2....99), but at
>least I can add 0 in front of 1 to 9. Then as a last change in my
>data I place 'Score' in front of 'Student name'.

What you write about not being able to change their Word settings in
not quite true. If you use the RTF format for distribution instead of
tabbed text, you can define the custom tab settings to be in effect
when the file is opened in Word or another word processing program.
These settings are file specific. In your case, producing an RTF file
is quite simple.

Robert Brenstein