Export text from tabbed field

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Tue Jan 7 04:27:01 EST 2003

>>Thanks to Eric, Robert, Andu, Phil and Richard for your replies.
>>Your replies all seem to confirm that the columns originating from
>>the tab stops will not be maintained when read to a file without
>>much customizing and extra scripting. So without putting too much
>>energy into it, I have found a solution, which is not 100%
>>satisfactory, but it will do for me. The output file will be read
>>by various teachers on various platforms, so there is no way to
>>change their Word settings and I would not want to ask them to
>>change font to a monofont either.
>>
>>My data in the scrolling field can be exemplified as:
>>Date		Code		Student name		Score
>>
>>Jan 02 11:30	3A1.1		Anne Lund Pedersen	37 %
>>Jan 02 09:30	11D1.12		Randi Holt		8 %
>>Jan 02 10:37	3A1.1		Arve Pedersen		17 %
>>Jan 02 11:31	11D1.12		Anne Holt-Rasmussen	98 %
>>
>>Particularly 'Student name' will vary in length whereas 'Date' is
>>fixed since it is read from a server. 'Code' will vary from 5 to 7
>>characters, so I add 2 extra spaces at the end of each code.
>>Originally I used both1 and 2 digits for 'Score' (1,2....99), but
>>at least I can add 0 in front of 1 to 9. Then as a last change in
>>my data I place 'Score' in front of 'Student name'.
>>

>What you write about not being able to change their Word settings in
>not quite true. If you use the RTF format for distribution instead
>of tabbed text, you can define the custom tab settings to be in
>effect when the file is opened in Word or another word processing
>program. These settings are file specific.

I have tried changing the text to rtfText before writing it out as a
RTF file to no avail. How do you define these settings in MC? I would
appreciate more details. Thanks in advance.

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Oysteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen        	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/hjem/default.html
Norway