Export text from tabbed field

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Tue Jan 7 04:05:01 EST 2003

>Signe Marie Sanne wrote:
>
>>  Your replies all seem to confirm that the columns originating from the tab
>>  stops will not be maintained when read to a file without much
>>customizing and
>>  extra scripting.
>
>I'm quite certain I missed something:  if your data contains ASCII 9, why is
>that not evident in the other programs you read the data with?

Hello Richard,
I have tested same type of data in a new stack, and there are still
problems with the tab stops in the Word file.
But in order to answer your question the scenario is as follows:

Students do exercises. A result file for each exercise is uploaded to
a server. The name of the file contains all the essential data: code
(for which test has been taken), student name, score (for instance
"4B2.2#Pettersen Anne#53"). A MC stack (on the various teachers'
computers) takes care of reading the content of the folder on the
server, manipulates the data (for instance with MactoIso or vice
versa depending on which platform the teacher works on)  and sorts
the content of the data into columns. So far the data looks fine.
Then there is a button with "Print out to paper" and that's where the
problems arise.

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Oysteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen        	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/hjem/default.html
Norway