that pesky post command - version problem

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Mon Feb 3 10:39:01 EST 2003

Allo Sadhu,

> | You don't need, Sadhu, to rebuild all the app if you stick the commun
> | part of it in a first stack and the issue-specific part of it in a
> | second stack. You can even set each one as the substack of the other and
> | get them working together in using the start using command or a simple
> | send message to an object set in the second or substack ;)
> |

> Hi Pierre,
>
> Good idea.  I did eliminate the version dependencies in the code,
> the only one really was the 'split' command.  Seems I have MC 2.3 on
> my wife's Linux box, and 2.4.3 on my PC, and in this case the path of
> least resistance was to just rebuild the application.  As previously
> mentioned RH 6.2 does not support MC 2.4.3.
>
> I had this code in at first
>
>      split this_line by "|"
>      put this_line[1] into field "title"
>      put this_line[2] into field "contents"
>
> I changed it to this so as to work with both versions
>
>      put offset("|", this_line) into pipeOff
>      put char 1 to pipeOff of this_line into field "title"
>      put char pipeOff + 1 to length(this_line) of this_line into field "contents"
>
> So the majority of the common part is the main stack script file and
> that indeed is identical.  But what I found is that even removing
> all the resources, putting a 2.4.3 stack file from Windows onto the
> Linux box and trying to run it under 2.3 or even 2.4 it would not run,
> and the problem was somewhere in the interpreter code.  In other words,
> trying to run it under the IDE the exception handler I think it's called
> came up and showed me where the problem was, and it was not in my code,
> it was in the interpreter.  So trying to figure out what was causing
> that could have been .. ah .. 'trying' .. wherease, just building up
> the one card UI was a snap, drag and drop a few fields, didn't take long!
>
> Anyway, the good news is the application works on both Linux and Windows
> now, no more problem with the post command.
>
> Pretty much any changes I make in the future will be in the main stack
> script and again, that is portable, so I can just copy it over to the
> Linux machine and save it under the IDE there.  No problem.
>
> BTW, I have some documentation and sample stack to send you.  I'd post
> to the list but I think mailman won't accept attachments.
>
> Sadhu

That's a great piece of stuff and docs you did, Friend ! Thank's a lot
:-)
I just read the how-to.html file posted to the
<ftp://crdp.intereduc.net> ftp site and it's realy the joker piece we
needed. Thank's again for that. After reading your how-to, it will
become realy easy to switch to the "MCtoPG" solution...

I will switch my next apps to mc 2.43 linux in just some more weeks (a
new server is coming...) and i will no more use MC 2.32, even on the
actual installed production servers. I will probably have to run some
other new apps on the xserve platform (one of my clients use four xserve
boxes) and i will let you know how this works on this jaguar server
platform (probably fine...).

IBTW : Is Pierre Shores my real life name and, Pierre Sahores my pseudo
? I don't remember anymore ;)))

Thanks again, Sadhu. We are at the begining of something realy great for
the mc community, yet... For sure !
--
Kind Regards, Pierre Sahores

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis.
Applications et bases de données WEB et VPN
Qualifier et produire l'avantage compétitif