that pesky post command - version problem

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Mon Feb 3 09:04:00 EST 2003

| You don't need, Sadhu, to rebuild all the app if you stick the commun
| part of it in a first stack and the issue-specific part of it in a
| second stack. You can even set each one as the substack of the other and
| get them working together in using the start using command or a simple
| send message to an object set in the second or substack ;)

Hi Pierre,

Good idea.  I did eliminate the version dependencies in the code,
the only one really was the 'split' command.  Seems I have MC 2.3 on
my wife's Linux box, and 2.4.3 on my PC, and in this case the path of
least resistance was to just rebuild the application.  As previously
mentioned RH 6.2 does not support MC 2.4.3.

I had this code in at first

     split this_line by "|"
     put this_line[1] into field "title"
     put this_line[2] into field "contents"

I changed it to this so as to work with both versions

     put offset("|", this_line) into pipeOff
     put char 1 to pipeOff of this_line into field "title"
     put char pipeOff + 1 to length(this_line) of this_line into field "contents"

So the majority of the common part is the main stack script file and
that indeed is identical.  But what I found is that even removing
all the resources, putting a 2.4.3 stack file from Windows onto the
Linux box and trying to run it under 2.3 or even 2.4 it would not run,
and the problem was somewhere in the interpreter code.  In other words,
trying to run it under the IDE the exception handler I think it's called
came up and showed me where the problem was, and it was not in my code,
it was in the interpreter.  So trying to figure out what was causing
that could have been .. ah .. 'trying' .. wherease, just building up
the one card UI was a snap, drag and drop a few fields, didn't take long!

Anyway, the good news is the application works on both Linux and Windows
now, no more problem with the post command.

Pretty much any changes I make in the future will be in the main stack
script and again, that is portable, so I can just copy it over to the
Linux machine and save it under the IDE there.  No problem.

BTW, I have some documentation and sample stack to send you.  I'd post
to the list but I think mailman won't accept attachments.

Sadhu