Multiple sounds playing at once - how?

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Mon Dec 15 17:39:01 EST 2003

> Actually I was referring to the state of audio capabilities in Rev/MC,
> even
> outside the games arena.  As a point of reference, Director version 1
> (read:
> the first version) had two sound channels that could be independently
> controlled.  Granted this was on Mac systems only at the time, but I
> would
> hope that after 10+ years, multi-channel sound would be somewhat
> straightforward to implement.

Yes, yes it should.

>>> If you want a sound to loop seamlessly (often difficult if not
>>> impossible in MC/Rev), you must use an imported sound for this since
>>> players
>>> will not loop seamlessly.
>>
>> Something needs to be done about this.  It couldn't be too hard - does
>> the new Revolution take care of any of this?
>
> Scott Raney has always attributed the lag to QT.  If this is really the
> case, it's all the more reason to abandon QT for audio support and get
> dedicated solution.

I will have to agree here, as well.

>   If the Rev folks feel it's too difficult or time
> consuming to build, then by all means, license something.  There must
> be a
> dozen small companies/developers out there with audio editors capable
> of
> playing multi-channel sound.  Why not strike a deal with one of them
> and
> save Tuviah and the other development folks some time and headaches?
>
>> From my point of view, the workarounds and hacks for managing audio
>> have
> gone on way too long.  Since before Rev existed, I've been forced to
> employ
> externals or dumb down the audio experience in stacks because of
> limitations
> imposed long ago.  Now is a good time to get past those limitations,
> even if
> the solution provides just a couple of audio channels.

I want to let them know that I strongly support this direction.

I believe the subpar (the practically 1980) sound management in
MetaCard has gone on too long...  I want to seriously get this changed,
because sound is just horrible right now in MC/Rev.

Especially since we're moving to a new code base.

Should we bring this up on a Revolution mailing list?  Maybe email
directly instead?

Karl