Player messages

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Dec 5 15:53:15 EST 2003

On 12/5/03 3:30 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> I just verified the problem behavior you describe above.  This is very
> irritating

Thanks so much for testing, and yes, it is thoroughly irritating. It
cost me hours.

> Here is one workaround that may or may not work for you:  use
> imported audioClips and play them as loops:
>
>  play mySound.wav looping

Good idea, and probably would work, only in my real project, I don't
really want a loop. I change filenames to load different audio files.
The loop test was just a good demonstration of the bug.

But -- Brian's suggested method works (bravo!) It is simple and I'm
embarrassed I didn't think of it myself, though I claim frustration and
lost time as an excuse. Here's what I did:

     put the duration of player 1 into theDur
     put (theDur/the timeScale of player 1) into theSecs
     start player 1
     send "movieStop" to me in theSecs seconds

And then there is a "movieStop" handler like this:

on movieStop
   playNextSegment -- includes the above script bit
end movieStop

So I'm back in business. I've bug reported the problem though.

> OK, now I just tried a test stack in Rev 2.1 and it appears to work
> correctly.

It *does* work correctly in the Rev IDE, which is what stumped me for
some of those many hours. If you suspend the IDE, then it doesn't work
any more, just like it doesn't work in MC. And in standalones, where the
Rev IDE doesn't exist, it also doesn't work.

There is something in the Rev IDE that forces a playstopped message to
get through but I haven't been able to figure out what it is. In the
interests of time, I'm going with Brian's work-around.

 >  So what you might try is using Rev's latest engine with MC. I
 > think you figured out how to do this already right?  Has anyone
established
 > a definitive process for using the latest Rev engine with the MC IDE?

I've been updating to and using the latest Rev engine with the MC IDE
with each new release. I work with both programs and I like to keep them
in parity. For all platforms except OS X you only need to rename the
engine and drop it into your MC folder. For OS X, you rename the engine
to "MetaCard" and drop it into the MacOS folder inside the application
bundle.

There are enough improvements in the newer engines that I like to keep
current. But this business where something works in Rev's IDE but not
with the raw engine is a puzzler.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com