Player messages

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Dec 5 13:30:36 EST 2003

On 12/5/03 11:14 AM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> put this script into the card:
>
> on playLoop
>  global gPlay
>  if the shiftkey is down then -- stop loop
>    put false into gPlay
>  else
>    put true into gPlay
>    start player 1
>  end if
> end playLoop
>
> on playStopped
>  global gPlay
>  if gPlay = true then playLoop
> end playStopped
>
> Trigger it with either a button or from the message box, with
> "playloop". While it plays, click back and forth between the stack and
> the message box. You should see the problem. If the stack is frontmost,
> you don't get a playStopped message. You can verify by watching the
> message watcher, though the behavior speaks for itself.
>
> I am going so far as to think I should create a dummy stack offscreen
> and set the focus to that while the thing is playing, but I really don't
> want to use that approach. It's klunky and ugly, and I don't even know
> if it would work.
>
> Also, I just tested on Windows and I don't see the problem there, but
> I'm not sure if that's because my PC box is using an older version of QT
> or whether it just doesn't happen in Windows. It does happen in both
> Jaguar and Panther, I just checked for that, but both my Macs are
> running QT 6.4 so I don't know if it is a Mac problem or a QT version
> issue. Any ideas would be very welcome.

I just verified the problem behavior you describe above.  This is very
irritating.  Here is one workaround that may or may not work for you:  use
imported audioClips and play them as loops:

 play mySound.wav looping

OK, now I just tried a test stack in Rev 2.1 and it appears to work
correctly.  So what you might try is using Rev's latest engine with MC. I
think you figured out how to do this already right?  Has anyone established
a definitive process for using the latest Rev engine with the MC IDE?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design