MC IDE

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Aug 22 10:52:01 EDT 2003

on 22/8/03 1:06 am, Richard Gaskin wrote

> As things evolved earlier, it seemed most folks preferred to use this list
> for the IDE discussion.  Personally I prefer it, as it seems a lot of
> general language discussion is already taking place on the Rev list anyway
> and most of the active list members here appear to also be on that list.  I
> don't think that necessarily precludes general language discussion here,
> however.
>
> So if you're NOT in favor of having the discussion of the MC IDE evolution
> take place on this list, this is the time to speak up.

I'm very happy for this list to be the venue for evolution of the MC IDE;
but I'd suggest that it be made an explicit change of the charter of this
list.

There are currently four relevant lists as far as I am aware:

    metacard   - formerly the all-issues list for MetaCard users

    revuse     - mainly a 'how-to' list for all Rev users

    revimprove - when launched, a venue for discussions of improvements and
                 bugs in Rev, and of betas; access limited to Professional
                 license holders (to whom betas, or at least alphas, also
                 used to be limited).

    xtalks     - in principle, venue for discussions of extensions to xtalk
                syntax etc for users and developers of Rev, MetaCard,
                SuperCard etc

I'm not sure what the access policy is for revimprove under the new license
scheme - Heather, care to comment?  I would find it helpful if it could in
some way continue to be limited to a restricted, generally more 'advanced'
group.  In theory the traffic might reduce somewhat as more people discover
the advantages of bugzilla for straight bug reports.

Currently, metacard is the venue for at least the following categories:
    - basic how-to questions (overlap with revuse)
    - bugs, possibly bugs, feature suggestions (overlap with revimprove)
    - whinging about how awful the MC/Rev convergence is
    - discussion of MC IDE

As the products converge, it would seem useful if the first two items
weren't split across different lists, and indeed we already see a certain
amount of cross-posting.  The metacard list might be best kept for the last,
or at least the last two, of these categories.

To me the only advantage of setting up a new list for the MC-IDE discussion
would be to make a clear transition, so that basic how-to questions could go
to revuse, bugs to bugzilla, suggestions to bugzilla and revimprove.

In fact, it might be even better to set up two new lists:
    metacard-ide
    metacard-whinge

(tongue slightly in cheek here) and close down this one altogether.

[On a related topic, I think the community might want to consider the status
of the xtalk list - there doesn't seem (I might be wrong) to be much non
Rev/MC traffic on it. ]

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866