Script Limits

David Bovill david at anon.nu
Thu Aug 7 06:20:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 09:40, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> What I meant in my earlier post is that maybe Rev can introduce
> procedure to lift these limits for specific projects (they could
> review them to ensure that the app can't be used to bypass their
> licensing and thus reduce sales) for a reasonable additional fee.
> That would be a step forwards in my mind, comparing to the current
> situation. This would not affect standalones as they are now.

I think this is a great idea. As an example the Open Source IDE could be
granted such a licence.

This is a bit like the duel licencing of open source technologies, where
a foundation reserves the right to sell one off licences to developers
who want to distribute closed source products that use their open source
code.

This leaves the control firmly in RunRev's hands, while leaving some
flexibility (and even encouragement) for innovative products that would
help to extend market share.

NB: a danger is that such arrangements are only temporary and the rug
can be pulled away as and when RunRev require. I licence with a long
enough time-out period would sort this issue for most developers /
participants.