Script Limits

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Aug 7 05:54:00 EDT 2003

>>No, if you mean running a stack under Rev GUI. Standalones are not
>>licensed, so, yes, they all will be affected. May be we will have
>>licensing for standalones as well one of these days :)
>>
>>Robert
>
>Oh god, don't give them any ideas!  You want them to charge us MORE
>to create extra licensing?  Pay once for the tools to create the
>software you want to develop, and pay again once you create it, so
>that it will run?  Nooooo.........!  Bite your tongue!

The idea is not really new per se. If I want to use "do" without
10-line restriction in a standalone, I need to buy the embedded
engine license, which costs way too much to be practical for people
like myself. Finding (the hard way) those 'set script' and 'do'
limits in standalones was my biggest disappointment when I moved from
Hypercard. In most cases, some workaround was possible but I still
have a big project on a shelf that can't be realized in MC because of
the 'do' limit (it was discussed on this list some time ago).

What I meant in my earlier post is that maybe Rev can introduce
procedure to lift these limits for specific projects (they could
review them to ensure that the app can't be used to bypass their
licensing and thus reduce sales) for a reasonable additional fee.
That would be a step forwards in my mind, comparing to the current
situation. This would not affect standalones as they are now.

Of course, Shari, your worry is somewhat justified. Rev may see this
as money-making opportunity -- set all limits to 0 and lift/increase
them only for a fee. If them setting the first limit to 0 is the
first step in that direction, they probably thought about it already
though.

The most worrisome of all of this is that we can't be ever sure
anymore that whatever we have / they promise will last. Taking away
dynamic setting of scripts is a big step backwards and removal of a
major feature which was taken for granted so far. It also reduces
further the utility of standalones for a number of projects.

Robert