Compiling for Windows

Ray Horsley ray at linkitonline.com
Sun Sep 29 08:09:00 EDT 2002

on 9/29/02 12:00 AM, Ken Ray at kray at sonsothunder.com wrote:

>> The second issue, which I'm still wrestling with, is how to get the
>> documents for my App to show up on the Windows desktop with the icons I've
>> assigned to them.  I'm learning it takes a lot more than simply assigning
>> them in MetaCard's Standalone Builder.  Ken Ray has a wonderful piece on
>> this at his Sons Of Thunder web site:
>>
>> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/metacard/metacard.htm?file004
>>
>> The reason I'm still wrestling with it has more to do with my 'basic'
> skill
>> level than with Ken's instructions which are very clear.  It does,
> however,
>> require a third party piece of software; the Axialis Icon Maker, I
> believe.
>
> Yes, I believe it's now called "IconFactory" (or some such); you need it to
> be able to edit the application and document icon *inside an already built
> standalone*. If you already have the .ico files for the app and document,
> you should be able to assign them in the Distribution Builder *before you
> build the standalone*. What exactly is happening? Do you believe you have
> all the registry settings in place along with the icons and its *still* not
> showing up, or can you let us know what's not working?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software
> Email: kray at sonsothunder.com

I did it!  My thanks once again to Ken Ray for this one.  After
experimenting with the instructions on your Sons of Thunder Web site I was
finally able to get MY icons to show up on the Windows desktop instead of
generic stuff.  I discovered that when I swapped your names "TestApp" out
for mine and concatenated them in the command it didn't work.  But if I
loaded everything into a string and then used "do myString" it worked fine.

One last question; I used forward slashes in the last two calls of
setRegistry which require a path and I noticed in yours you used back
slashes.  It seems to work fine, but do you think this will cause problems
on other versions of Windows?

Thanks,

Ray Horsley
Developer, LinkIt! Software