Accented Characters on PlAtf0rMs?

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Wed Sep 11 03:17:01 EDT 2002

>In MetaCard 2.2 when I tried to port a stack written
>in French from MacOS to Windows all my accents were
>changed.
>
>Since English has no accents this is not a problem -
>in English.
>
>However every other major language that I know of has
>accents. (French, Russian, Spanish, Italian... the
>list is not insignificant).
>
>I am wondering if there has emerged any workaround for
>this problem? I tried to find a way to script around
>it - to no avail. (though I supposed I could represent
>my accents as html entities in a hidden field and then
>import them platform dependant - yeesh).
>
>Anyway I am hoping someone either has a solution or at
>least ideas to solve this problem.

Another way to solve the problem:

The text in the field "f1" is saved as html text in a custom property
(in this case on the card) called "Newdata":

set the Newdata of this cd to the htmlText of fld "f1"

The text is converted to "normal" text to appear in the same field "f1":

set the htmlText of fld "text" to the Newdata of this cd

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Oysteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen        	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/default.html
Norway