Aliases in cgis

andu undo at cloud9.net
Sat Oct 26 18:02:00 EDT 2002

--On Saturday, October 26, 2002 16:21:52 -0500 "J. Landman Gay"
<jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> I have a MetaCard cgi script on my local network (OS X) that puts a stack
> in use. It works fine as long as the stack is in the CGI-Executables
> folder. What I want to do is keep the stack outside the cgi folder but
> still readable by the cgi script, so that the data returned by the script
> is always current with the stack in my user folder.
>
> I set the permissions for the stack in my user folder to 755. I tried
> putting the long path to the stack into the script but it didn't work
> (but maybe I got the path wrong.) I tried putting a Mac alias made in the
> Finder into the cgi folder, as well as a unix-type aliases made in
> Terminal. Neither of those worked either. I set the http.config file for
> my user name to include "useSymLinks" in the options line (though I don't
> think that file is consulted,) and the Mac http.config file already
> includes it.
>
> Is it possible to do what I want, and if so, can someone give idiot-proof
> directions?

Not sure what server you are using but for Apache there is a config file
directive:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/my-directory/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/my-directory/cgi-bin">
        AllowOverride None
        Options None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

which is meant to do what you want. The <Directory></Directory> allows for
other options as well. BTW, make sure you understand the difference between
an alias and a [sym]link since they are not the same. Hope this helps.