Menubar revisited

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Tue Oct 22 19:40:01 EDT 2002

> I've had a couple of reports of this kind of goURL script failing on
> Win98 and WinMe.  Apparently some (but not all) versions of these
> OSes do not accept this line:

> get shell("start" && theTitle && tURL)

I don't know if this may be the same problem as one we diagnosed in RR
a couple of months ago, but apparently one of the Norton security
products (AntiVirus?) prevents shell() from working entirely.
Actually the problem is often worse than that, with a BSOD being your
reward if you try this on some systems.  There is no workaround for
this other than my usual one: design your app so that you don't have
to start up a browser.  The bonus being that doing so will save your
sanity in a lot more ways than just this ;-)
  Regards,
    Scott