Menubar revisited

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Oct 22 19:56:00 EDT 2002

Recently, "Scott Raney"  wrote:

>> I've had a couple of reports of this kind of goURL script failing on
>> Win98 and WinMe.  Apparently some (but not all) versions of these
>> OSes do not accept this line:
>
>> get shell("start" && theTitle && tURL)
>
> I don't know if this may be the same problem as one we diagnosed in RR
> a couple of months ago, but apparently one of the Norton security
> products (AntiVirus?) prevents shell() from working entirely.
> Actually the problem is often worse than that, with a BSOD being your
> reward if you try this on some systems.  There is no workaround for
> this other than my usual one: design your app so that you don't have
> to start up a browser.  The bonus being that doing so will save your
> sanity in a lot more ways than just this ;-)

If you guys want to build a full blown HTML parser/renderer into MC, I'll be
the first the renew my MC license agreement.  :-)

Otherwise, there's always the brute force and klumsy workaround of writing a
an HTML jump page the temp directory, launching that, and letting the system
run the browser using its own "intelligence".

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design