Bundles... fascinating...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 14 15:50:00 EST 2002

Shari wrote:

> I'm still a little fuzzy on the
>
> <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
> <string>com.metacard.MetaCard</string>
>
> bundle.  Far as I can tell, this is something to uniquely identify a
> program, sort of like the creator code.  Having been "bit" by the
> Metacard menu appearing, I'm going to try changing this key as well.
> I didn't read any reason not to.  Though it sure doesn't look like a
> string that would be all that unique...

Correct - from
<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/Proper
tyListKeys/Bundle_Keys.html>:

  The CFBundleIdentifier key specifies a unique identifier
  string for the bundle. This identifier should be in the
  form of a Java-style package name, for example com.apple.myapp.
  The bundle identifier can be used to locate the bundle
  at runtime. The preferences system uses this string to
  identify applications uniquely.