Bundles... fascinating...

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 14 15:35:01 EST 2002

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/Bundles/index.html

Fascinating reading, thanks Richard, for posting this link (or
rather, the link that took me here :-)

Far as I can tell, there are several URL-related bundles that can be
listed in the plist file.  I didn't find any in Metacard's plist
file.  Yet the URLS seem to work (at least for me and my testers :-)

This cleared up the last question I had about the OSX bundle.  The
anomaly regarding the Mach-0 file in the contents folder which is the
engine, and my own standalone.  Far as I can tell, it does not need
both.  The file that gets created as my OSX standalone replaces, or
IS, the MetaCardCarbonMach-O file (but not the
MetaCardCarbonMach-0.rsrc file, which should never be tampered with).

I'm still a little fuzzy on the

	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>com.metacard.MetaCard</string>

bundle.  Far as I can tell, this is something to uniquely identify a
program, sort of like the creator code.  Having been "bit" by the
Metacard menu appearing, I'm going to try changing this key as well.
I didn't read any reason not to.  Though it sure doesn't look like a
string that would be all that unique...

Shari
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--