Feature idea/request: move object along equation

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Mar 13 17:47:01 EST 2002

On Wednesday, March 13, 2002, at 01:04  PM, Karl Becker wrote:

> I have an idea for improving the "move" command but I'm having a tricky
> time figuring out how the syntax, and even the concept itself, would
> work.  I'd like to be able to use the move command to move objects in
> non-linear, time-variable ways.

I for one am glad to see someone else in need of this feature.  I had
been trying to figure out some way to script this as well, but built-in
control would be excellent.

What you are asking for is the equivalent of "ease in" and "ease out"
features of animation packages.  Percentages are one way to specify
where the acceleration or deceleration occur: "ease out 20%" would mean
the moving object starts to slow down during the last 20% of the overall
moved distance.  So in theory, you could write syntax as:

    move grc ball from 10,10 to 100,100 easein 20 easeout 40

...to accelerate the moved object to the moveSpeed during the first 20%
of the moved distance, and decelerate during the last 40%.  One could
get even more complex defining how quickly the acceleration/deceleration
takes place within the easein/easeout intervals, but even just the above
percentage control with a fixed a/d rate would be very much appreciated.

Can we get this?...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director, Tactile Media