Feature idea/request: move object along equation

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Wed Mar 13 16:06:01 EST 2002

I have an idea for improving the "move" command but I'm having a
tricky time figuring out how the syntax, and even the concept itself,
would work.  I'd like to be able to use the move command to move
objects in non-linear, time-variable ways.

If, let's say, the current move command moves objects like a billiard
ball that rolls straight across a table and stops after a particular
time period, this new move command would be like a subway train
starting from a dead stop, accelerating up to a constant speed,
turning this way and that, changing its acceleration along the way
(both + and - ) , and eventually stopping.

I know I could use a repeat loop (or do a bunch of send...in
messages) and manually set the location of the object each time to
achieve an effect similar to this, but calculating all that can cause
a serious performance penalty (especially on Mac OS X, where using
the "move" command produces motion ten times more fluid than using a
bunch of "set the location of" commands) .

One way I had envisioned this working would be with a command like this:
along  <some math function, in the form of (2x-3) or (x^3 - 2x^2 +
3/4x - 5)>  (in some separate time periods that would be
differentiated by the x-values, like (in 2 seconds for 3<x<7) )

The last part would mean it would take the object 2 seconds to move
from through the range of x-values of 3 to 7 in 2 seconds.

The syntax needs cleaning, and I don't even know if this is feasible
to implement, but it would be great if scripters could offload moving
lots of objects even more onto the system than they currently can
(not having to make their own scripts for moving things in non-linear
lines) .

I'd even be happy if someone could dream up a way to move things in
linear lines but in different time periods (from x1,y1 to x2,y2 in 2
seconds, then from x2,y2 to x3,y3 in 8 seconds, etc...) .

Apologies for the long message, but I think a feature like this would
really be quite useful.  Hopefully I've explained it clearly enough.
I've had enough words to do so  :-)
--
Karl Becker, KB Productions - http://www.karlbecker.com
Featuring:New Tricks, Tiger's Eye Pub, and The Fishin' Hole