why MetaCard?

erik hansen erikhans08 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 01:39:00 EST 2002

--- Geoff Canyon <gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com>
wrote:
> At 5:13 PM -0800 1/7/02, erik hansen wrote:
> >one of the key questions for me was the
> >restrictions RunRev puts on Rapid Application
> >Development (whatever that is (and as i hear
> 2nd
> >hand)). this issue does NOT seem to have
> struck a
> >nerve .
>
> The restrictions are much the same, but not
> quite. Rapid Application Development is what
> MetaCard and Revolution are. What Revolution is
> saying, basically, is "don't compete with us."
>
> There was a(n) (in)famous case in the SuperCard
> world where someone used SuperCard to produce a
> SuperCard-alike. This is possible because the
> SuperCard development environment is built in
> SuperCard. The same is true of MetaCard --
> that's why Revolution is possible. The Rev crew
> licensed the engine from the MetaCard crew. The
> license simply means that you won't do the same
> thing the Revolution crew did _without_
> bothering to get a license.
>
> The end result is very similar between the two
> environments, although I once called Scott to
> ask about an idea I had for a tool that I
> thought pushed the limits of this, and he
> simply told me that if it didn't violate the
> script limits (allowing the end user to write a
> script more than 10 lines long) then it was
> fine. I think the answer from the Rev crew
> would be about the same.

this finally explains it. i bought MetaCard
without even trying RunRev for a pretty specious
reason! no regrets, though. the bugs will get
sorted out in RR eventually, but i can't afford
to wait. the cool RR widgets, i will just have to
learn to build or borrow.

the consensus seems to be that both are excellent
products with a few trade-offs but basically the
same capabilities.

anyway, what is offered here is so overwhelming
that i feel like a 10 year old i a theme park.

=====
erik at erikhansen.org                 http://www.erikhansen.org