why MetaCard?

andu undo at cloud9.net
Mon Jan 7 21:10:01 EST 2002

Terry Judd wrote:

> >>  >They both do the same thing using the same engine, maybe not too obvious
> >>  >to you, except that Metacard is stable and the development environment
> >>  >is geared towards a more mature audience.
> >>
> >>  Mature?
> >
> >Well yes, Metacard is a simple, efficient, stable development
> >environment which has just enough controls and tools to help an author
> >get the job done, Rev is supposed to do the same thing except that you
> >never know if it's your script's error message or the environment's. Not
> >to mention that from the time you click something to something actually
> >happening is a long time.
> >Besides, there is something about Rev that leaves the false impression
> >that all one has to do is click a few buttons here and there and have an
> >application, which has more to do with marketing then authoring.
> >Then there is the support issue: per incident replies as opposed to per
> >week replies seem to me more desirable.
> >People who buy glitz are immature at best, IMHO.
>
> I agree that MC's IDE is more stable than Rev's (though not
> necessarily more mature)

Seems we have a misunderstanding with the word mature, in this context
I'm referring to a *balance* between clean code, speed, features, so by
all these measures (maybe less the last one) MetaCard is more mature.

> although I'm betting (I bought Rev rather
> than MC) that Rev's stability will improve substantially over the
> next few months - at the end of which I'll have a tool with which I
> can be more productive.

Certainly a bug free environment will make a difference, if the number
of controls is proportional to the increase in productivity you'll find
out.

> I don't usually go for glitz - but I did buy Rev - does this mean I'm
> immature or???

Good question;-)