why MetaCard?

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Mon Jan 7 22:53:01 EST 2002

At 5:13 PM -0800 1/7/02, erik hansen wrote:
>one of the key questions for me was the
>restrictions RunRev puts on Rapid Application
>Development (whatever that is (and as i hear 2nd
>hand)). this issue does NOT seem to have struck a
>nerve .

The restrictions are much the same, but not quite. Rapid Application Development is what MetaCard and Revolution are. What Revolution is saying, basically, is "don't compete with us."

There was a(n) (in)famous case in the SuperCard world where someone used SuperCard to produce a SuperCard-alike. This is possible because the SuperCard development environment is built in SuperCard. The same is true of MetaCard -- that's why Revolution is possible. The Rev crew licensed the engine from the MetaCard crew. The license simply means that you won't do the same thing the Revolution crew did _without_ bothering to get a license.

The end result is very similar between the two environments, although I once called Scott to ask about an idea I had for a tool that I thought pushed the limits of this, and he simply told me that if it didn't violate the script limits (allowing the end user to write a script more than 10 lines long) then it was fine. I think the answer from the Rev crew would be about the same.

regards,

Geoff