Columns - feature request

Tariel Gogoberidze PMDA at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 7 23:07:01 EST 2002

> --On Wednesday, December 04, andu <undo at cloud9.net>  wrote:

>>P.S. I need to do it FAST on large variables, therefore a repeat
>>loop won't do.
>
> I don't think you can do it without at least one repeat since we don't have
> the concept of columns in MC.
>
> This sounds good as a feature request - columns, columnDelimiter.
>
> Regards, Andu Novac

Countless times I wished for this feature. At least for something like

split MyArray by cr VERTICALY

so that for example:

   put "A1,B1,C1" into line 1 of MyArray
   put "A2,B2,C2" into line 3 of MyArray
   put "A3,B3,C3" into line 4 of MyArray
   put "A4,B4,C4 " into line 2 of MyArray

split MyArray by cr VERTICALY
  or
split COLUMNS of MyArray by cr

answer MyArray ["1"]

would return

A1
A2
A3
A4"
Assuming that engine will honor ItemDelimiters to identify column dividers

Generally, it could be any syntax but the idea is that I currently don't
know any DIRECT way to split matrix type variable so that each element
of the array would contain the column of the variable.

As for the "concept of columns in MC" - this would be phenomenal.
If columns would be incorporated as one of the tokens it would be
possible to…

Put column 3 of tvar into column 2 of tAnotherVar

Replace col 3 of tvar with col 4 of tanothervar

Delete col 5 of tvar

But again, even the ability to split array by columns would greatly
reduce number of repeat loops we have to write

Best regards
Tariel Gogoberidze