Set up GUI stack on OSX server that handles STDIN/STDOUT

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sun Dec 8 08:19:01 EST 2002

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami a écrit :

> General Question is:
>
> How does one set up a stack on an OSX server that can act like a UNIX
> program where any other [Program A] can set a path:
>
>   /usr/sbin/myFilter.mc
>
> where myFilter.mc is an open stack running in GUI mode,
> such that output from Program A is read as standardIn incoming data by
> 'myFilter.mc" to which
> myFilter.mc can send our responses which are seen by Program A
> as data coming from myFilter.mc's standardOut?
>
> Specific Context is:
>
> We want to have more control over incoming email on the email server,
> not only for virus scanning but for many other purposes. Communigate
> Pro (our mail server) can set up a path to an external program and
> using its "External Filter API"  which is a simple set or
> request/response codes, it will send a request to the external program
> and expect responses. I would like the external program to be a
> metacard stack if possible, with a GUI interface.
>
> Is that doable? In this scenario Apache or any web CGI interfaces are
> not involved. But i think it must be a similar concept as Pierre
> Sohores "long running process"
>
> i know how to use the faceless script to "read from stnin"
>
> but how do you do that in a GUI stack ... which must be some how set up
> a pipe to "listen" ?
>
> mmm. somehow.  I think we may have come full circle here back to
> Metacard's roots?
>
> examples stack and scripts would be very helpful...
>
> Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
> Himalayan Academy Publications
> at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
> katir at hindu.org
>
> www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
> www.HinduismToday.com
> www.Gurudeva.org
> www.Hindu.org

Allo,

The best starter point to build this kind of stuff is probably to adapt
an issue of the Mark's mc-based sockets client/server stack to your own
needs. I use, for my own, time to time, this method to build some very
usefull lan mc-based utilities. See below what Mark wrote, a while ago,
to explain us how to do :