MC on Apache and CGI

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Sun Dec 8 09:55:14 EST 2002

Hello again,

I have a rather odd request regarding the installation
of MC on a server running Apache for CGI applications,
both from standard web pages and from MC standlones.

MC has been installed on 2 of our servers several months
ago and I've used it successfully for a couple of projects
and everything works fine.
The question is NOT about how to use it, but how to
INSTALL it.

Let me explain : it had been installed by a guy who no
longer works with us, and I'm not an Apache wizzard.
Furthermore, there are plans to transfer the content of
our servers to the servers of a company who would
administrate everything for us (mainly for cost reduction).
Of course, ppl at that company never heard of MC and
are quite reluctant to install it on their machines...

So what I need is accurate info (from someone who already
installed it and uses it daily - Pierre ? ) about installation and
safety issues, mainly to convince those ppl...
I remember some posts on this list about the need of a "wrapper"
(to hinder hackers to take control of the server), and differences
between MC and Mchttpd, but am afraid I don't master these
subjects well enough to convince a Unix pro...

As I want to use MC for cgi in more and more projects, I'd
be very glad if someone could take a part of his time and explain
everything to me (or at least everything I need to know), on or
off list, it doesn't matter...
Or perhaps does anyone know of some company here in France
who already knows MC and is willing to have it installed on
their servers... It would make things easier...

Thanks in advance for your time & attention.

Best,
JB