Apple Talk network problem

Ray Horsley ray at linkitonline.com
Fri Apr 12 10:34:01 EDT 2002

on 4/11/02 2:14 PM, Leston Drake at ldrake at lpsoftware.com wrote:

> At 04:45 PM 4/11/2002, you wrote:
>> Hi Leston,
>>
>> Are you at a work station and launching a MetaCard app which resides on the
>> server, or are you just using the server as a data base?
>
> There is not a server, just a bunch of machines networked together
> (peer-to-peer).
> So the application's files are loaded on one machine (in a shared directory).
>
>> Also, are you launching via aliases or any security software, or are you
>> double-clicking right on the app itself to load it?
>
> To run from a different machine, I connect to the shared drive, and then
> double-click the program file.
>

>> I can share with you some experiences I've had with Tiny Toons, At Ease and
>> MacManager if this is helpful for you.
>>
>> Ray Horsley
>> Developer, LinkIt! Software
>
> I have 2 code library files (stacks) that sit in a sub-directory of the
> program, and are required for the program to run. I use a relative path,
> derived from the filename property of the main application stack to "load"
> them (i.e., "start using stack ..."). Scott Raney thought it was possible
> that these may not be found since it is running remotely. Do you have any
> experience referencing external files from a shared drive? Unfortunately, I
> don't have access to a similar setup of Macs here for me to test and debug
> on (it is a school computer lab).
>
> Ray, I appreciate your help and welcome any other ideas or experiences that
> you think would be useful.
>
> Thanks,
> Leston

Hi Leston,

I suggest you get a file server.  If there's no funding for that this year
then dedicate one of your Macs as a server using File Sharing (you'll have
limitations but you can still use it as a work station).  Additionally, set
up your program so the app resides on each work station and runs from each
work station.  Use the server just for the user created or edited stacks.
For better performance, duplicate the stacks to the local machines for use
and move them back to the server when finished.  This is how I'm re-writing
a HyperCard based testing/gradebook app in MetaCard.  It works quite well in
HyperCard and should work far better once it's done in MetaCard.

Ray Horsley
Developer, LinkIt! Software