Apple Talk network problem

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Apr 11 18:39:01 EDT 2002

>> Are you at a work station and launching a MetaCard app which resides
>> on the
>> server, or are you just using the server as a data base?
>
> There is not a server, just a bunch of machines networked together
> (peer-to-peer).
> So the application's files are loaded on one machine (in a shared
> directory).
>
>> Also, are you launching via aliases or any security software, or are
>> you
>> double-clicking right on the app itself to load it?
>
> To run from a different machine, I connect to the shared drive, and
> then double-click the program file.

Unless I missed something, a few things stand out to me...

1) Are you using standalone applications or stacks separate from the
engine/s?  If your stacks are in the form of standalone applications, I
believe only one user will be able to use each application at a time.

2) You can connect to a Mac over a network and run an application
remotely on the host Mac, but Program Linking must be enabled in the
FileSharing control panel and you will still be faced with the above
problem.

I think the most effective (and least costly) way to accomplish what
you're doing is to keep stacks (not standalones) on the host machine,
and have the networked machines access the stacks via their own MC
engines.  I believe in theory you should be able to have multiple users
access a single stack, since the stack is completely loaded into memory
to run, but obviously no one will be able to save changes to the
original stack (nor should they be allowed to try).  Any user-entered
data will have to be saved locally on each networked machine.

Other MC folks might have different advice...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director, Tactile Media
scott at tactilemedia.com