record sound bug?

fuegox at mac.com fuegox at mac.com
Wed Dec 12 15:43:01 EST 2001

On Wednesday, December 12, 2001, at 10:03 AM, cowhead wrote:

> There used to be a "send bug reports to....." on this mailing
> list...but it seems to have disappeared.  Anyway, back to the old
> "record sound" saga...
>
> It's great that this has now been implemented in metacard (I've been
> forced to use weird combinations of superCard/metaCard stacks before
> this) but I can only get it to work well when using the "with dialog"
> command...eg.
> ask file "what"
> record sound IT with dialog
>
> This opens up a dialog stack, which offers all the 'recordFormats()'
> options, and there are quite a few that sound really good on a Mac (OS
> 9.1x, Japanese) and take up very little memory space as well.
> Unfortunately, if you try to record directly in these formats, without
> going through the dialog, it doesn't sound good anymore. Moreover, the
> quality level makes no difference.  e.g.
>
> record sound file it as fl64 with best quality
>
> sounds pretty bad, in contrast to the fl64 (floating point 64bit)
> recorded through the 'dialog', which is crystal clear.  I suspect the
> culprit is in the quality level, which seems to have no effect in the
> direct (non dialog) script.  I suspect that the dialog is recording as
> 'best' but not the direct script.  I wish I could see what the 'sound
> settings' dialog stack script looks like, but I can't find it.  I've
> tried putting quotes around the quality in the direct script (e.g with
> "best" quality), but the
> compiler will not accept this.
>
> In summ, can anyone show me a direct recording script for any format
> which sounds really good on the Mac?  Or is there something broken here
> that might ought to be fixed (my opinion).  I don't want to have to go
> through the dialog each time.
>
> Thanks!
>
> mark mitchell

IMHO, something is wrong.  I can get it to record, but it is only in the
Qualcomm PureVoice™,"Qclp".  This one records very clearly.  My only
problem is that it does not get the very beginning of a sound and
sometime it does.  Sometimes it puts the first 2 seconds at the end of
the recorded sound.  When I can get around to understanding it more, I
will bug report it more clearly to Scott.

I use the following script in a record button:
   record sound file tName as Qclp --tName is a variable for the sound
file

Stop button:
   stop recording

I would be interested to know if this happens for you.  Have only done
most of my testing on OS 10

-Mark Talluto