record sound bug?

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Thu Dec 13 03:47:00 EST 2001

>On Wednesday, December 12, 2001, at 10:03 AM, cowhead wrote:
>
>>There used to be a "send bug reports to....." on this mailing
>>list...but it seems to have disappeared.  Anyway, back to the old
>>"record sound" saga...
>>
>>It's great that this has now been implemented in metacard (I've
>>been forced to use weird combinations of superCard/metaCard stacks
>>before this) but I can only get it to work well when using the
>>"with dialog" command...eg.
>>ask file "what"
>>record sound IT with dialog
>>
>>This opens up a dialog stack, which offers all the
>>'recordFormats()' options, and there are quite a few that sound
>>really good on a Mac (OS 9.1x, Japanese) and take up very little
>>memory space as well.  Unfortunately, if you try to record directly
>>in these formats, without going through the dialog, it doesn't
>>sound good anymore. Moreover, the quality level makes no
>>difference.  e.g.
>>
>>record sound file it as fl64 with best quality
>>
>>sounds pretty bad, in contrast to the fl64 (floating point 64bit)
>>recorded through the 'dialog', which is crystal clear.  I suspect
>>the culprit is in the quality level, which seems to have no effect
>>in the direct (non dialog) script.  I suspect that the dialog is
>>recording as 'best' but not the direct script.  I wish I could see
>>what the 'sound settings' dialog stack script looks like, but I
>>can't find it.  I've tried putting quotes around the quality in the
>>direct script (e.g with "best" quality), but the
>>compiler will not accept this.
>>
>>In summ, can anyone show me a direct recording script for any
>>format which sounds really good on the Mac?  Or is there something
>>broken here that might ought to be fixed (my opinion).  I don't
>>want to have to go through the dialog each time.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>mark mitchell
>

>IMHO, something is wrong.  I can get it to record, but it is only in
>the Qualcomm PureVoice,"Qclp".  This one records very clearly.  My
>only problem is that it does not get the very beginning of a sound
>and sometime it does.  Sometimes it puts the first 2 seconds at the
>end of the recorded sound.  When I can get around to understanding
>it more, I will bug report it more clearly to Scott.
>
>I use the following script in a record button:
>   record sound file tName as Qclp --tName is a variable for the sound file
>
>Stop button:
>   stop recording
>
>I would be interested to know if this happens for you.  Have only
>done most of my testing on OS 10
>
>-Mark Talluto

I am able to record (with dialog) on Mac at 22.050 kHz and on Windows
at 44.100. However, I would also get rid of the dialog, and have
chosen the PC inbuilt sound panel:
  put word 1 to -2 of
queryRegistry("hkey_classes_root\soundRec\shell\record\command\")
into tRecorder
launch tRecorder

On Mac I have found that the corresponding panel is called "Apple
Simple Sound Record Dialog", but I do not know how to open it from
within MC. I'm sure someone must have the right recipe, either using
"GURLGURL", open process, or launch or something, or an Apple Event.
I'm eagerly looking forward to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Oysteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen        	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/default.html
Norway