Suggestion: Non-Appbuilding Community Edition

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 14:24:43 EDT 2021

Over on the Forum I've seen several of the whiners criticising the lifetime
licenses - people who have paid a tiny fraction of what we've paid (if
they've paid anything at all)!  I suspect their baseless criticisms have
cost more than any of the whiners have paid in license fees. If I ran the
Forum the baseless whiners would be told to "stop whining or leave". I know
of dozens of people banned from social media for things far less offensive
than are said about LC Ltd on their own forum.

I rarely delete emails and just went back through mine. I'd been a license
payer for more than a decade before I got a lifetime offer. But I couldn't
afford it until I got the offer again, some 5 years later.  Even then the
lifetime license cost me more than I'd paid in the previous 18 years
combined, so I had to think hard about it (not sure if I will be around in
18 years). And though there were some years of future license banked in my
LC account, I didn't quibble and say "can I have a discount for the years
I've already paid in advance".  I think if I had done that LC Ltd would
have taken that into account, because that's how they roll.  But to me it
felt mean-spirited to ask for a discount. Which is why I think LC Ltd have
been very magnanimous to those who say they can't afford a license. My
self-respect wouldn't let me be one of those people.

I have no expectation of LC Ltd listening to Dan's suggestion, as the one
thing that stands out from watching Kevin for 20 years is that he does his
utmost to be honourable. If the majority of those free-loaders had any
honour, we wouldn't be having any of this discussion.

I hoped that the open source initiative would have seen positive
contributions, but that didn't happen.  I'll come back in a year and see if
they've even managed to compile the existing code.

Regards, Bernard

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 5:16 PM Rick Harrison via use-livecode <