Bug, feature, or just something I need to program around?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu May 13 18:23:56 EDT 2021

On 13/05/2021 20:25, Jim Lambert via use-livecode wrote:

> In Notes if you are in one note then select a different note and execute Shift-Command-Right Arrow, you will see the same behavior. The insertion point moves to the end of the note without selecting any text.

I don't see that. If I move from one note to another by clicking on the
'summary' for it, I then need to either click into the Note itself, or
use the right-arrow to get into it. In either case, cmd-shift-arrow
immediately does select the text.  (Notes version 4.5, 876.1, on MacOS
1.13.6)

Is there maybe another way to move from Note to Note that I haven't found ?

Could you say *exactly* what you mean when you say "in one note then
select a different note"?

In any case, Apple's HIG doesn't (AFAICS) specify anything, and autotab
set to true gives me the behaviour I expect/like (for single-line
fields, I will leave it false for multi-line fields).

It's mildly irritating that the selection anomaly exists, and also
irritating that two behaviour changes are bundled into a single setting
(autotab true = text pre-selection AND changes how "return"/"enter" are
treated).

When I'm convinced I've got all the cases covered, I'll create a bug
report for the former, and an enhancement request (for openfield to
provide more info) to allow us to program around the latter.

Thanks,

Alex.