Help with androidStartAudioPlayingInBackground()

Derek Bump derek-lcl at speedbump.io
Sun Mar 28 14:24:23 EDT 2021

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has insight into the usage of
"androidStartAudioPlayingInBackground()", or can confirm that it works?

I setup a test stack that attempts to play a public domain MP3 using the
following script but nothing plays. I receive nothing from the function,
and I'm getting the following in logcat: LiveCode: JNI exception thrown
when calling native method

on mouseUp
    local tFile
    put specialFolderPath("engine") & "/" & "spring_song.mp3" into tFile
    if there is not a file tFile then
       answer "File not found:" && tFile
    end if

    put androidStartAudioPlayingInBackground(tFile) into card field "result"
    -- logcat: LiveCode: JNI exception thrown when calling native method
end mouseUp

I've tested this build using Community 9.6.2 (rc3) and 9.0.5, on an
Android 9.0 Virtual Device and a Android 9.0 phone. Same result across
the board, nothing plays.

I did test and confirm the ability to play the audio file with
"mobilePlaySoundOnChannel", but I need background playback for my
project to work. Also, I searched the LiveCode Quality Control site for
existing bugs (no results) and searched the forum a bit.

Does anyone have any ideas? Here is my test stack if you're willing to
give it a shot on your end:
https://www.speedbump.io/shared/backgroundPlayTest.minimal.zip

Thank you in advance,

Derek Bump