how do I get geoLocation on a Mac?

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Mon Mar 1 23:34:29 EST 2021

I’m no Javascript expert, so I can’t answer the question about the error, but my best guess is that code needs to be run within a browser.

However, considering that you need to be connected to the internet to access your geolocation on desktop, if you sign up for a free API with https://ipgeolocation.io (for unto 30K non commercial Requests Per Month), then it’s pretty easy to parse the Lat/Long from the returned data with a couple of lines of of simple code, e.g.

   put url(https://api.ipgeolocation.io/ipgeo?apiKey=<myAPIkey>) into tResult -- Replace <myAPIkey> with your unique key

   put item 12 of tResult && item 13 of tResult into tGeoLocation

The result = "latitude":"50.12345" "longitude":"-125.67890”

It’s not quite as accurate as GPS, but it’s close, plus you have the advantage of lots more data returned should you need it and no messing with Javascript.

Paul