LC Roadmap

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Feb 17 07:16:09 EST 2021

> On 16 Feb 2021, at 15:26, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> A sample 'skeleton' app - i.e. complete but not fleshed-out. Initially it would be for a desktop app (the first sequel will cover mobile). It would implement "good practices" for many of the common features, with enough code being there to do something - but the focus should be on the architecture rather than on doing anything useful.

I released:

https://andregarzia.com/books/livecode-advanced-application-architecture.html <https://andregarzia.com/books/livecode-advanced-application-architecture.html>

To cover as much of this topic as I felt comfortable doing. The main issue is that different experienced developers have different opinions about what is the best way to organise an app. LiveCode is very versatile and you can do a really great app organisation that is completely different than another great app. We don’t have a mothership preferred way of doing that, and I didn’t want to force my own bias into people.

I know that some people are deriving great value from Levure, others prefer using something else. It is a tricky topic to cover because once you release such book, you’re kinda telling all newcomers that the way described in the book is the best way to do it. For example, if I went ahead and added a way of doing all that without Levure, then some people would think that Levure is useless because the only book we have tells you do use something different; if I used Levure, then people would think that if you’re not using it, you’re doing it wrong.

That is way I stayed into safe topics in that book, I covered stuff that should be applicable to many ways of organising your code. Still, I really think you’ve surfaced an important vacuum in our community, we lack good and documented skeleton apps. The main challenge here is the wording on the e-book, it should be clear that there are other equality valid ways of doing things, and that is OK to tweak the presented approach or even come up with your own.

Since a lot of this work would involve manipulating stacks and their properties, I suspect that this would work better as a multimedia product with videos and articles.