[ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-4

Sean Cole (Pi) sean at pidigital.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 19:58:45 EDT 2021

Lagi, I feel your pain, I do.

However, I only see a moderate amount of unresponsiveness and I can usually
put it down to the way I use it on Windoze in a VM on a Mac. The stack I am
working on at the moment takes 5 seconds to save on mac side but 30 seconds
on the Win10. My colleague running on a fast PC running native Win10 also
sees a 30 second save time. But I am guessing (only guessing, without
putting in any effort) that it is more to do with File Systems than
anything LC related.

Otherwise there is little difference I can find using LC on a Mac or PC.
Until LC9.6.1 where the script editor was uncoloured, 9.6.2RC2 which had a
bunch of editor issues on Mac only, RC3 which went into a loop as you drag
select in a field to scroll the text and select at the same time, again on
Mac side only.

So, without diminishing your feelings, your issue seems to be, not
necessarily unique but, perhaps nuanced to certain circumstances. Have you
tried it in a clean account on your computer? Or, perhaps, another machine.
Or maybe it is linked to the click/drag issue. Then again, I could be wrong
altogether and the performance does indeed need looking at.

Once upon a time, LC used to be coded so much more with LC itself. Now they
seem to spend a lot more time, understandably so, coding it in Atom over
github and rarely experiencing LC in its native form. Perhaps if they did
more often they might notice these issues for themselves while coding in
Windows, Linux and Mac builds of LC. Maybe they should set themselves the
task of building an Atom type editor in LC at home to experience it at its
worst. :)

Sean

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 20:57, Lagi Pittas via use-livecode <