SHELL command works in Terminal but not via SHELL in LC

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Jun 3 07:24:37 EDT 2020

On 2020-06-03 12:13, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
> However if he fires this in LC:
> on mouseUp
>  put shell("ffmpeg -i Desktop/ffmpegMac/TiffSequence/Test_%5d.tif
> test3.mp4")
> end mouseUp
>
> He gets:
> /bin/sh: line 1: ffmpeg: command not found
>
> But this is working in the Terminal!?
> What is going on here and how can this be fixed?
> Does some environment or PATH variable need to be set additonally?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!

Yes - when you launch an app from Finder it has a minimal set of
environment variables.

Moreover, Terminal will run scripts when a session is started which can
add to them (I suspect homebrew adds something to .bashrc or similar
which sets up the PATH appropriately).

You can easily see what the differences are though by using the 'export'
shell command...

If you run 'export' from Terminal it will give you the list of all
environment variables; then if you do 'answer shell("export")' in LC you
will see what ones are defined there - its then a simple case of 'spot
the difference' :)

Hope this helps!

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps