FieldTrip (WAS: fixed textheight affects scrolling?)

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Sat Jul 11 13:41:52 EDT 2020

Stephen:

 > Girls! Time to take this spat off list, please.

Ah good, belittling a gender! That helps. Otherwise agreed; I don't want
to see this either.

But as this was a very public attack on a very LC product, and strayed
from the facts, that didn't leave me much choice. Public inaccuracies
require public corrections.

Klaus:

 > One BETA was delivered!

As you say: delivered. But I believe it was two betas, not one.

The denigration of "beta" is a marketing school of thought, nothing more
or less. I used to keep all of my products in beta for YEARS (since I
belonged to another school of thought, with very high emphasis on
quality) until being forced out of it by the former school of thought
being officially adopted here.

 > Interesting, so it is LCs fault in the end.

Facts, not fault. Very different! Not everyone is interested in facts,
but that doesn't erase them or make them less important/relevant.

FT was designed for LiveCode during the time of LC 5/6, if I recall
correctly. It was also designed within the budget we funded. That
product was coded and delivered. Klaus received what he paid for. He
hasn't received an update yet; nor has he paid for one. That doesn't
mean I don't WANT an update, and I certainly didn't want LC 7 to be
incompatible with this or any other product. But of course the product
was delivered as paid.

As I said:

 > LC 7 stopped working with some existing code, and not the other
 > way around. Technically 7 was supposed to work with the existing
 > code, and the team was working through BC issues,
 > but ah well. My flagship products were more fortunate
 > (with a lot of help from myself in testing and reporting issues)
 > but LC 7 was released before that could happen for FT.

So technically this should have been part of the LC 7 compatibility
effort, that is undeniable fact, but LC 7 was released before it could
happen. That didn't help. My products were originally budgeted for
efficient building on a fairly firm foundation, not immediate and
frequent rewrites.

The huge LC 7 and 8 changes, and the many LC bugs introduced during that
period, required substantial changes and LC bug-hunting for many or most
LC projects which contain substantial code. That was originally
unplanned and unbudgeted, and is very much ongoing. As I've said before,
I can't really complain; I've made a large part of my living for many
years from LC 7-9 bugs and changes!

But it did hurt FT, since FT was unlucky enough to miss out on the
official 7 compatibility efforts, and also could not benefit from my own
first efforts. My first attention had to go to the flagship products.
That doesn't make me happy either, but it is the reality. There simply
was no other choice.

Whereas many other LC projects have simply fallen by the wayside since
LC 7, I'm proud that FT is still very much on my list!

But again:

 > FT will be revived and updated; looking forward to it very much.
 > But that will be AFTER the other flagship addons are updated.
 > Not before. Harassment won't change that.
 > Nor will falsehoods or bad behavior.
 > (Hint: currently WordReport is first in line!)

Client projects ALWAYS come first, no matter what.
Then the flagship products. This is the priority I will follow.

Klaus:

 > I really start to feel sorry for you.

Regarding my own handicap, it's simply another fact that unfortunately
has become somewhat relevant in this case. Nothing more or less.

FT was planned and budgeted for an efficient development process, not
immediate and frequent rewrites.

I've always loved efficiency and the real benefits and cost savings it
brings to software development. Always a hardcore fan. But since being
diagnosed with a progressive neuromuscular disease, efficiency is my
lifeline! I no longer have the option of doing things another way.

I'm proud to be one of the top LiveCode developers and consultants,
achieving more than most despite my handicap! And I have some incredible
strengths, so I'm not complaining. I could easily feel sorry for others.
I have some "super powers" when it comes to code. I'm very powerful in
that regard and I thank God for my many blessings, which incidentally
include LiveCode itself, and my wonderful clients!

But when it comes to time and energy, I just don't have the option of
being inefficient. Nor do I have "free time" in the sense that most
people do. I can't just arbitrarily decide to work extra whenever I feel
like it; my body will no longer let me. Work has to be planned and
prioritized. And I get things done - achieving a lot of work for my
clients each year, and also making progress toward updates on my
flagship addons!

But unfortunately FT has had to wait, for a number of years, as Klaus
has emphasized. Nevertheless it's coming, in its turn. If I have to
write big emails to correct inaccurate statements, or deal with
harassment, it truly does take significant time away from work and slow
things down. I can't borrow from free time and unspent energy; every day
my energy is very finite. If I spend the time talking, I can't spend it
working. That is the choice involved. I love it when I get a chance to
post here between work, but I have to limit it.

So hopefully this post helps to clear up facts about FieldTrip and also
my plans. To save energy and further the cause of actual progress rather
than rehashing facts and corrections, I will either refer back to this
post or quote from it in future if needed.

Meanwhile WordReport is the current focus! WordReport already had a
recent update to solve issues introduced by LiveCode 8, and the upcoming
version will improve on that, plus address some issues introduced by
Catalina. Very excited about it. :)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development