[off-topic-ish] do you prefer LC-related content as books or video courses?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jul 7 15:38:29 EDT 2020

My immediate response is .... anything but video !!

I hate video - can't find things, no indexing, can't fast forward
effectively over the bits I know or more-or-less know, need audio which
doesn't always fit my surroundings, ....

But that doesn't mean video is without its advantages - sometimes it
gets details across in a way that written methods fail with. Videos
which are *short*, with really good external index/content description
might be just the thing.

As for "book" - does that mean paper, ePub, PDF, or something better.  I
would love to see a stack-based solution that gave quick, searchable,
hyper-linked access to content that was also accessed in other ways. For
example, I buy an e-book giving me a PDF plus a stack which allows me
good access to the content (including updates, errata, new additions).

And I think you should consider a model of initial purchase with (cheap)
on-going subscription, that would allow you an on-going revenue stream
to keep the enhanced-book up-to-date and relevant.

And I think you could (depending on your content area) perhaps sell
content which is sample apps. I would happily pay for a *realistic* iOS
app - don't much care what it does, so long as it contains current
techniques for building a real app - including using mobile widgets,
etc. and comes with a full set of build instructions - i.e. it can't be
a "Hello World" app, it must have reasonable set of features. Then I
could take the app, follow the instructions - and hopefully get a
successful build with fewer headaches. And that would be the ideal case
for initial purchase + subscription because the instructions would
evolve over time.

And if wanted to then build my own app, I would most likely do it as an
offshoot from that working model. (Don't know how you work out licensing
for that :-)

I suspect you could do similar for Android, a desktop + web combo, ....
and find people who would get good value from buying that to give them a
headstart on their own development. You'd need to find a balance of
enough content to be a *real* app without soaking up too much
development time.

Alex.