CentOS Death in 2021

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Wed Dec 16 12:37:32 EST 2020

On 12/16/20 1:39 AM, Pi Digital via use-livecode wrote:

> Back to my OP.
> - What system build of Linux should I best install in Parallels virtual and Server Remote Host for deployment should I run with? Given the choices of potentially having LC IDE running as the ‘live’ software stack on the server itself (which is not the best way to run it, but potentially a method that is usable for our purposes perhaps).
> - Which systems of Linux can we safely develop and test in?
> - And then, which systems of Linux can we safely deploy and run in? And what are the known issues for both develop/test, and deploy/run?

Sean-

You're dangerously close to getting into religious wars here <g>
But for my money (ask any three linux devs and you'll get ten answers)
I'd install the latest debian build, verify that everything's working,
and leave it at that. I don't expect you'd get any surprises that way,
but if you do then I'd back down to the latest ubuntu build.

That said, I'm running the latest linux mint cinnamon on a ubuntu base,
and I tend to push the engine to its limits. I can always find ways to
get into trouble, but I have to work at it. Otherwise rock solid.

...and the usual caveats apply, of course. No browser or media support.
Hope this helps.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com