Will Browser widget ever work on Linux?

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Tue Dec 8 18:12:30 EST 2020

On 12/8/20 1:54 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I need to know whether there are any plans of making the CEF browser work
> correctly on Linux?
> I vaguely remember a conversation about it and it seeming like there is
> very little hope of that.
> Can anyone confirm?

Um. It's complicated.
LiveCode currently uses CEF build 74.1.19 (04 June 2019). The latest is
build 87.1.12 (07 December 2020). LC also has dropped using the CEF on
Windows because reasons.

The current maintainer of the CEF is Spotify. I don't know who else
might be using the framework to provide an embedded browser.
https://cef-builds.spotifycdn.com/index.html#linux64
Although there looks like a good Go library available.
https://github.com/richardwilkes/cef

The problem isn't with CEF itself - I can compile and run the CEF sample
apps with no problem, but rather with the way it's integrated into the
LiveCode engine. And I don't know whether there's still a CEF in LC's
browser future or whether it will go the way of the Windows browser. I
haven't seen any github notifications of any work being done on the
LiveCode browser on any platform lately.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com