Trying to use the Segmented Control

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 05:16:07 EST 2020

When I was about 18 I was driving tractors on a farm: really
old-fashioned things with about 3 gears.

Later, in the United States, I learnt to drive a car; out car was a Ford
Tempo with 5 gears and a reverse.

However, when I went to take the test the officers there would not let
me use our car because it had a pea-sized spot of the windscreen. So, I
borrowed a friend's car: the only problem was that it was an automatic:
so I took a driving test in an automatic
car when I had never driven one before . . . what a load of rubbish.

I, then, left the U.S. and did not drive a car for about 6 months, and
managed to have my American licence stolen.

I started driving again in the United Arab Emirates on the basis of a
Saudi licence I had got for a bottle
of fake Chanel number 5.

That's when I really started to drive.

The few times I have had to drive a car with an automatic gear system
since then I have generally panicked as
they make me feel out of control.

WIDGETS seem to me like cars with automatic transmission: all very
clever, drive themselves, but no chance for
any creative driving.

Personally I'll always opt for 'stick' given the choice.