iOS app denied: AVAudioSession

Dan Friedman dan at clearvisiontech.com
Fri Aug 21 11:39:35 EDT 2020

I recently uploaded an iOS app to Apple with no problems.   After it was approved and released, my client wanted to change the app description in the app store.  As you know, you can only do this as a new version (stupid!).  So, I made a new build of the same exact app (without changing a line of code) and submitted it to Apple.   It was denied because:

Guideline 2.5.1 - Performance - Software Requirements

During review, we were prompted to provide consent to use the microphone. However, we were not able to locate any features in your app that use the microphone for audio recording.

Next Steps

The microphone consent request is generated by the use of either AVAudioSessionCategoryRecord or AVAudioSessionCategoryPlayAndRecord audio categories. If you do not intend to record audio with your app, please choose the AVAudioSession session category that fits your app's needs or modify your app to include audio-recording features.

If these features are located in your app, please reply to this message in Resolution Center to provide information on how to locate them.

Please see attached screenshot for details.

The app doesn't use the Microphone.  The ONLY difference I can see between this build and the previous is the first build was with LC Business 9.6.1 (rc 2), and this build is with LC Business 9.6.1.  I do have "mergAV" selected in Inclusions in the Standalone App Settings (I am using the camera to capture a barcode), but "mergMicrophone" is not selected.   Is there an new issue in LC Business 9.6.1 that is setting the AVAudioSession to something is shouldn't?   Maybe I should just rebuild with LC Business 9.6.1 (rc 2) and submit?

Any thoughts?   Client is waiting for this post!

Thank you in advance,
-Dan