Widget Properties

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Apr 24 04:37:48 EDT 2020

Hello Scott

Just to keep you in the loop, I have been trying to produce a mobile app (right now it’s iPhone — Android may come later). I’m trying to do this as rapidly as possible (it is connected in a minor way to the lockdown measures for the pandemic).  I have lots of experience of LiveCode development but almost zero for mobile.

As my app took shape, I noticed how unlike a typical iPhone app it looked, mostly because I was using the controls I was familiar with, such as radio buttons and ordinary fields. I wondered if my users might find its interface unfamiliar. Therefore I have been seeking to make my app’s user interface look and feel more like other iPhone apps. I have already had a lot of help from this list, but it seems there is no one packaged solution to getting an ‘iPhone look and feel’. As LC offers some ‘native’ controls, I tried to use the maximum of these - I even paid for a pack of native widgets. That’s why I was using the button widget.

So far the results have been disappointing in the widget line, although other features like mobilePick and the choice of soft keyboards have worked well. On the whole up to now, the widget solutions have only been marginally helpful.

Hope that explains it - probably more than you want to know!

Graham