MP3s

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Mon Apr 13 12:31:07 EDT 2020

I had one of those in my car. 4 tracks per pass were used in quad mode so each side of the album played without a track switch. When it was stolen(along with the muscle car) I was heartbroken. I had a few quad tapes including the aforementioned The Six Wives of Henry the Eighth. I also had Dark Side of the Moon(surprise surprise) and Zappa's Overnight Sensation and a few others. Drive to the woods roll down the windows then imbibe and pop in quadraphonic Pink Floyd. Boy we had some fun before we hunkered down and invented all the technology we see today.

I also used CD-4 records at the time. the front-back difference subcarrier was up at 18 kHz to 45 kHz. Who ever thought that a record's frequency response could go to 45khz? The Door's Riders on the Storm had whispering of the tag phrase "Riders on the Storm" isolated in the rear channels. If you listen close to the stereo version you can hear the whispering. I also had some classical recordings with 2 mikes at the rear of the hall in the rear channels.

Anyone who poo-poos quadraphonic should rethink that opinion when they fire up a movie with a 191.1(or whatever the current max is) speaker set up.

Colin,
Thanks for the great memories you just triggered. I needed that!

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net