[OT] Banks, Governments looking for COBOL programmers

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 9 12:09:15 EDT 2020

Martin Koob wrote:
 > Just an OT comment with a tangential link to LiveCode.
 > "People who are conversant in terse languages, like C, do not like
 > COBOL because it's very wordy. You say things out in plain English
 > sentences and before you even get down to doing anything you have
 > to describe all of your data in a very elaborate structure," says
 > retired COBOL programmer, Jay Moseley.

I have no opinion on COBOL, but when we see complains of "verbosity"
with LiveCode it makes me laugh:

The view stems from a focus on individual statements, somehow never
noticing that there are dramatically fewer statements overall.

Moral: Measure chars-per-task, not chars-per-statement.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems