Android architectures

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Sat Sep 21 23:20:33 EDT 2019

Long answer:

Option 1
Build one big apk for all 4 architectures.

Option 2
Build 4 apks (one for each architecture) you get these advantages over
option 1:
1) The PlayStore will download the proper apk for the user's architecture
thereby reducing the install/update time
2) You will target more devices because 1 large apk could exceed the max apk
size for some devices.
3) x86 devices performance will be 5x to 10x faster.

Option 3
Build 1 apk for both the arm and arm64 architectures to reduce the option 1
apk size. App will run slow on x86 devices because it will run in an arm
emulator. You could also possibly exceed the apk size for some devices but
not as many as option 1

Option 4
Build 2 apks one for each arm architecture to reduce the apk size and
optimize the install time(as in option 2). App will run slow on x86 devices
because it will run in an arm emulator.

Option 5
Build 2 apks one for both arm architectures and one with both x86
architectures. X86 devices will run fast. You could also possibly exceed the
apk size for some devices but not as many as option 1.

Short answer:
Yes. (option 4)

I'm working on my Android build plug-in to do the 4 builds with one
operation. You will only have to enter the signing crap once for all 4
builds. As soon as I get it done I will share it with the community.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net