OT: Catalina - the end of ad hoc & in-house development?

Matthias Rebbe matthias_livecode_150811 at m-r-d.de
Mon Sep 9 14:07:30 EDT 2019

Although i understand anyone´s concern about Apple new requirement for notarization, i welcome Apple´s effort to make Mac OS X apps more secure for the users. I was also not very happy when i first heard that  10.14.6 will not start unnotarized apps right away.

But what are our options here?
Either we stop developing for Apple or we fulfill Apple´s requirements. Everyone has to decide for her/himself, if the extra work for this Notarization is worth it.

Even if there is a way to run unnotarized apps under Mojave by going to security control panel and allow the app to be opened, i think this is not very user friendly and also not not very trustworthy, regardless if it is a free or a commercial app.

Under  Windows developers have to purchase a CodeSigining Certificate which costs from 79,- to 300,- USD, depending on where you buy from and depending on the type of the certificate, to be able to codesign.  And if i remember right, also under future Windows versions it will be more difficult to run unsigned Apps. At least there will be a popup with a warning message, this is currently in Win10 the case. That is also not very trustworthy, isn´t it?

Anyway, some weeks ago i´ve posted a link to a Livecode lesson which not only describes the required manual steps to notarize and staple an app for distribution outside the Mac Appstore , but also includes an helper stack which does all the needed steps.

You´ll find the lesson here: <http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4071/l/1122100-codesigning-and-notarizing-your-lc-standalone-for-distribution-outside-the-mac-appstore>

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe