Where do we want LiveCode to go? (was "Re: Where LiveCode is Now")

Pi Digital sean at pidigital.co.uk
Tue Oct 8 20:17:28 EDT 2019

> On 8 Oct 2019, at 19:37, JJS via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> So that's why i say, the HTML5 export is a nice thing to experiment, but no visitor is going to return after the first time of long waiting, not even if the 2nd time is somewhat quicker

Again, this only potentially applies to the landing page, not a web app which any visitor would or could expect a loading time, especially if warned. Our clients are already happy with this. It’s still less or about the same as they experienced with the desktop app.

HTML5 deployment from LC is not intended for making web pages.

Have you loaded MS Dynamics or any other CRM for that matter in a browser. And yet they are used day in day out by thousands of businesses globally. Each MSD window is tedious - loading takes 16-20sec and inconsistent. LC html is a dream in comparison (despite its current bugs and screwups).

https://tariffanalyser.porrima.co.uk

Double click the circle icon to see some demo data and display 28k+ records in a custom built DataGrid (coz datagrid2 is broken and mega slow at the moment).

That’s what I’m working on and it loads pretty fast in comparison. 10 seconds to download the app and engine, run, Connect to a list from MySQL via php, resize to fit the screen and display. (Note: this is not designed for mobile platforms)

Each sales agent will have a link on their desktop that will open up Chrome to this page as if opening a desktop app. And they can leave it open over night if they wish and come back to it the next morning after logging back into their machine.

This ‘experiment’ seems to be working.

Sean Cole
Pi Digital Prod Ltd