LiveCode now #49 at TIOBE Index!

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 02:37:13 EDT 2019

On 6.10.19 1:59, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 10/5/19 3:36 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> But this month LC broke new ground:
>>
>> For the first time since I've been tracking TIOBE, LC IS NOW IN THE
>> UPPER 50, ranked as the 49th most popular language:
>>
>> https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
>
> Great news!, I think... note that the TIOBE rating is based on lines
> of code written, not popularity.

Lines of code written where?

Lines of code written in what context?

Are the TIOBE people able to stick their virtual noses into every
computer on the planet
and see who is doing what with what programming language?

This all seems a bit specious.

Frankly I'd be far, far more interested to know in what contexts
different programming languages are used.

Over here, in Bulgaria, something like 90% of IT companies are hooked on
C++, and the rest on C#,
while high schools seem to be split between C++/# and Visual BASIC. But
Bulgaria is an "ever so slightly
retro" country that is very small indeed, so, statistically probably has
very little bearing on the global
situation.

> I'm not fond of metrics based on lines of code written. Since LiveCode
> packs so much power into a single statement vs the number of line of
> code it takes to do the same job in most other languages, I'd think
> that we're actually much higher in the standings than a simple
> quantitative statistic would indicate.

Indeed.

And quantative is not necessarily qualitative.

> What did we knock out of place to get there? I see we're only 0.001%
> above Crystal, whatever that is.
? Meth ?

The fact that LiveCode is at position 49 is, nevertheless, good, as it
might attract the attention
of the sort of people who make decisions of what sort of programming
language to use on
its popularity: and while that might seem a bit naff, every little
advance helps.